Joe is married to West Orange native Clare Silvestri. In 2003, they moved their family to West Orange to raise their children: Thomas, Beth and Paul. Thomas, a recent graduate of County College of Morris with a degree in culinary arts, attended West Orange High School and benefited immensely from its special education program. A graduate of Saint Joseph’s University in Philadelphia, Beth now teaches English in Orleans, France. Paul graduated in June from Seton Hall Prep and has committed to play baseball in the fall at Gettysburg College, Pennsylvania. They live in the Gregory section, in a home where Clare babysat as a teenager.
Joe was born in Richmond, Virginia. He attended Rhodes College in Memphis, where he played NCAA Division III tennis, and graduated from the University of Georgia. He earned a degree in journalism, with concentrations in finance and economics. After a successful career as a financial journalist, including working for USA Today and The Wall Street Journal, and as a marketing, public relations and management executive, Joe started his own marketing and public relations consultancy.
Memberships & Community Involvement
- Joe has been a Scout leader and a coach in the Mountain Top League in multiple sports.
- Clare and Joe are active parishioners at both St. Joseph’s Church and Our Lady of Lourdes Church, where they are involved in numerous ministries, including the marriage preparation (Pre-Cana) program and Eucharistic Ministers.
- He has held various leadership roles in the parent-teacher associations at his children’s elementary school. While his son Thomas attended West Orange public schools, Joe also was a member of the West Orange Chapter of PASSE (Parents Advocating for Special Services in Education), an advocacy group for students with special needs.
- Joe is an officer in the Knights of Columbus West Orange Council 5519.
In his public service, Joe has been a leader and activist in providing transparency on municipal financial issues and active support to community volunteers.
- He created WestOrangeGrassroots.org, enabling residents to better understand how our municipal government operates and spends our taxes.
- He has supported the West Orange Public Library as a co-founder, board member and treasurer of Friends of the West Orange Public Library, working to restore library funding and expand the services it offers.
- A member of the West Orange African Heritage Association, Joe has been a chef for several years at its major annual fundraiser, “Men Who Cook”.
- He is a member of the West Orange Arts Council.
- He has worked with the Open Space Commission, the West Orange Historic Preservation Commission and Our Green West Orange, among other commissions and volunteer groups, to expand open space and historic preservation in the Township and to preserve our tree cover against development and tree cutting in violation of the town’s tree-protection ordinance.